Saturday, January 31, 2009

A little about me!

Hi,

My name is Hunter Blair and I am studying business and communications in the BIS program. I chose these two fields because I come from a very business oriented family and enjoy being around people in the workplace. The site of my applied study is located in Phoenix, with offices in Honolulu, Los Angeles, El Paso, Seattle, San Diego, and Sacramento. There are many things I hope to learn from my applied study site. I want to gain confidence in meeting with people face to face in the case that he or she may be a potential client. I hope to learn about inside and outside sales and what it takes to be a successful sales person. Developing my marketing skills is what interests the most, however, because marketing is an area that I wish to get into at some point in the future. Meeting with contractors and fellow co-workers will allow me to strengthen my communication skills as well. I have accomplished responsibilites of keeping in contact with potential clients as well as keeping the employees up to date on current events that may be coming up. Some future goals that I have for myself are to be doing work with this company or joining my uncle's company back in Dallas, Texas. My uncle owns several Aaron's furniture and appliance stores in the greater Dallas area, and wants me to come learn the business and perhaps take over a couple when I learn a little more. The applied study site that I am working at right now is definately something that I would be interested in working for after graduation if they will have me. As everyone knows the economy is going to determine whether or not I will be able to stay on board, and since it is a smaller company it is tough for them to add people and throw out the kind of money that I feel like I should make.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hunter,
    It sounds like your applied study will provide you with great experience, even if ultimately it doesn't turn into a job due to the poor economy. It sounds like you have options, which is always a good thing! I am looking forward to following your blog this semester and learning more about you in both 401 and 402.

    --Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hunter,
    You're right, there are many things in the business world that you have to be comfortable doing (selling yourself to potential clients). You are fortunate to have people in your family that you can learn from that have been in the business field longer than you have. You have plenty of options in the way of finding a job that suits you, and one that can pay you want your worth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hunter!
    So I read the comment you made on my blog and I wanted to know what hotel you are working at right now?? I am trying to get into a hotel after graduation and I have found it is very hard. Do you have any advice for me?
    I have never been to South Africa. I am always up for an adventure. Who do you normally travel with on your journeys??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hunter, sorry I mean South America!

    ReplyDelete