Monday, February 23, 2009

Hello again,

Getting this blog to post has stressed me out more than anything else in the past two days. Having this issue created problems for me today in the workplace in which people could see and tell that I was flustered. It got me to thinking about the different communication concepts that I have learned during my schooling here at Arizona State. I learned that non-verbal communication was big in the workplace, and something that you have to be conscious of. For example, I was on the phone and a co-worker noticed my face and could simply tell that the person on the phone was irritating me. The co-worker happened to be my boss's assistant which was not good in the sense that she might have felt that I did not want to be there and particularily on the phone. We deal with communication issues all day and every day in the workplace and I need to be more aware of that. I need to learn that things that have occurred outside the workplace do not need to brought in, as it is not fair to everyone else. Having said all of this, the marketing strategies I have learned have had a positive impact on me thus far. Since our company is currently going through a marketing/advertising change I am able to give a little imput without sounding completely ridiculous. The market growth rate is effecting our ideas in terms of determining if any money can be made in the market at that specific time. The market profitibality is also key in determining how we want to change our catelog situation. We are currently looking to change from catelogs to USB ports. The USB ports are less expensive to make, but the current economy has given us reason to think that everyone else is trying to save money as well. I have enjoyed the challenges brought on by this and am learning new information everyday.

2 comments:

  1. Hunter!!
    Nonverbal communication is a great aspect of communication to touch on. I took a nonverbal communication course last semester and learned so much about eye movement, body language and facial expression. Nonverbal communication at times can be very tricky and in return result in miss communication. One important aspect when dealing with people is to not judge a book by its cover. Some people may express negative nonverbal communication and really not mean anything by it. I also learned that when people that aren’t telling you the truth will not look you in the eye. This is something that I will take with me in my life in professional and relational settings. I think it is gift to communicate with others and understand everything that comes along with it. Take that positive gift with you in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunter,
    I just read your blog and was wondering if you were having problems posting because you could not see the verification code needed to post? I am sorry that frustration from this blog and technical problems caused frustrations and that bleed into your work. I think that sometimes in addition to people being able to read your non-verbal others can sense stress (even when you aren’t trying to show it). I am actually writing to you on Sunday evening and using my response to you as a test message right now, because a few others have been having problems and I want to see I also have problems responding to blogs. I will write to blogger and hopefully we can clear this up, the idea behind using blogger was supposed to make things easier and less frustrating!

    ReplyDelete